Tuesday, February 4, 2014

WEEK 1 of 52 Oil Paintings "Onions, Garlic and Grapes" January 19, 2014

Week 1 of 52 oil Paintings "Onions, Garlic and Grapes"


This was my first painting of the 52. I have dedicated myself to paint a weekly painting and at the end of the year I will have 52!

 Painting an onion has it's challenges...I never painted one before and I had a lot of unknowns to resolve such as color, texture and shape. The first challenge was how to get the skins look shinny, yet textural, like a real onion skin....I used Alizarin Crimson for the sheer, rich red/plum darkness and built up more opaque colors as I got to the top of the skins. I loved creating the root ends by using the back of my paint brush, scribing into the paint...FUN! The difficulty was achieving their unique ellipse shapes. Getting the shapes correct was more difficult then I thought.

 I remember the day so well....it was such a beautiful January day...I sat outside in the backyard poolside and just got in the painting zone. I painted until sundown and remember thinking...I wish everyday could be like this!
www.nicoleslater.com


WEEKLY PAINTING: 1 of 52

c. Nicole Slater
 Oil on Canvas 11 x 14"
"Onions, Garlic and Grapes"
 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Paintings by Nicole Slater