Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Week 8 of 52, Oil Paintings by Nicole Slater "Gerbera Daisies in Clay Pot"

Week #8 of #52 Oil Paintings
"Gerbera Daisies in Clay Pot"
This week I was challenged to paint Gerbera Daisies once again!...

I have to say painting the daisy this week seemed just as hard as it did in week#2.

 I still don't quite understand how a simple flower can be so hard to paint?? Is it because they are so simple? I found getting the subtlety of the shadows, color change and the slight curve of every petal difficult to create without it being choppy looking, and too obvious in variations.


www.nicoleslater.com
c. Nicole Slater 12 x 16" oil painting on canvas

"Gerbera Daisies in Clay Pot"

The clay pot was much easier to paint and fun too! I enjoyed getting the texture to look like an old clay pot and also placing the shadows and highlights.... I even painted to capture the old world glaze it had by dry brushing colors on top of dried under-painting. 

If you look closely at the background you will see a slight design. This I painted in for some interest but, also because It was a beautiful old oriental rug that was draped in the background...I want that rug!

This week I learned how to create soft affects in the background patterns so it doesn't take away from the main subject....I did this be applying transcending colors such as Alizaran Crimson, Olive Green, and Ultramarine Blue. After applying these paint colors and pattern...I let it sit for a day and then lightly blurred it by brushing it ever so lightly. I love the effect!

I also learned a lot about myself! I need to tell myself often to not get frustrated and remember this is for FuN!

 I believe I captured the delicate strength of the Gerbera Daisy!

 Yeah:)





1 comment:

More Paintings by Nicole Slater